Monday, September 05, 2005

labor day weekend

my long-weekend plans were looking pretty bleak until about four o-clock on friday afternoon. i was prepared to spend a weekend in socorro, with nothing to do but homework. all alone. no roommates, no friends, not even any enemies.

then my sister called and told me she'd come pick me up on her way to the gila wilderness where she and ellen and andy would be quazi-camping this weekend. this was interesting on many levels, two in particular. it was also fun having no phone or computer. : )

first, i was in the "rebel" group for once. take three girls and a little boy who are teased for being goody-goodies in the real world, and plop them in the middle of super-conservative mountian people, and you'd be surprized at the results. tracy and ellen put pink and red streaks in their hair before going to camp. andy brought his skateboard, and as far as i can tell, was the only boy there with hair longer than his collar, who didn't have it parted on the side and neatly combed. i packed my beatles t-shirt and another with a skull and crossbones on it.

no one talked to us. well, except for curtis, who we already know pretty well, and looked like he was in the same boat, with his converse all-stars and guitar. it really was like we were being shunned. i was also carrying around my modern control systems textbook, so that didn't help with my popularity. i think it may have actually intimidated people.

second interesting aspect about this weekend: i was a guest star on "the tracy show." i don't know if it's senioritis or what, but her bossy, all-about-me attitude has really skyrocketed in the last few weeks. it's driving me crazy. this weekend, we were in the part of the state she considers "her turf", among people she considers "her gang", so you can imagine the results.

but at least she got me out of town, right? right. i owe her for that.

No comments: